Re: [opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 10:54:36 -0400
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:

At 14:23:39 on Thursday Thursday 01 October 2009, Per Jessen
<per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:
as somebody else said, why don't you use YaST installer to do the
partitionning?

Among other reasons, because I want to know why the installer has
retained partition information that isn't there anymore, and where
it is storing obsolete information.

Partition information is stored in the partition tables.  When the
partitioner finds your old partition scheme it's because it is still
stored there.

I don't know dfsee either, I always use fdisk - what does fdisk says
when you print the partition table?

I know that the partition tables store the partition scheme. But if I
see a certain arrangement, that must be what the partition table is
storing.

Exactly.

I think, in fact, that HDs have two copies of the partition table.

Yes, it does.

Are you guys sure about that? Is that a unique Linux thing? Where is
the second copy?

The MBR (master boot record) (which includes the partition table) is
normally marked by having AA55 as the last 2 bytes of the sector.
That is also used for BR (Boot Records) (which do not have a copy of
the partition table). Some filesystems (ie NTFS) have redundant
copies of the BR at the end of the partition, but I'm not familiar
with redundant copies of the MBR.

note: I assume at this point that yast is keeping a redundant set of
partition info somewhere, but I doubt it is in a raw sector which is
how I am interpreting the above reference to a second copy.

Greg