Re: [opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 15:32:16 +0200
At 14:23:39 on Thursday Thursday 01 October 2009, Per Jessen
<per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:
as somebody else said, why don't you use YaST installer to do the
partitionning?

Among other reasons, because I want to know why the installer has
retained partition information that isn't there anymore, and where it
is storing obsolete information.

Partition information is stored in the partition tables. When the
partitioner finds your old partition scheme it's because it is still
stored there.

I don't know dfsee either, I always use fdisk - what does fdisk says
when you print the partition table?

I know that the partition tables store the partition scheme. But if I see
a certain arrangement, that must be what the partition table is storing.

I think, in fact, that HDs have two copies of the partition table. If that
is true, it means that DFSee (and almost certainly fdisk as well) is
looking at one of them, and the oS installer is l ooking at the other. I
have to track that down. And if the situation is as I guess, I do not
think it would be wise to leave the discrepancy as is and simply go over
to the installer's partitioner, because the confusion might well cause
some sort of trouble in the future.

I will post here how this turns out, for the interest of others.

DFSee, by the way, is among other things an alternative to fdisk, but much
more versatile -- and it works with Linux, Windows, Mac (I think), and
OS/2. You can look at its website, or ask e.g. Felix Miata (or anyone
else who came from OS/2) about it.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on