[opensuse] SLES11 / udev rules / tape media changer
  • From: Rainer Blaes <Rainer.Blaes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 12:22:44 +0200
From this great list we learnt to use udev rules in order to fix the device name
for the media changer /dev/sgN where N is altering after each reboot.
Here is the udevinfo output of our tape changer:

#udevinfo -a -p $(udevinfo -q path -n /dev/sg5)

looking at device
'/devices/platform/host4/session1/target4:0:0/4:0:0:2/scsi_generic/sg5':
KERNEL=="sg5"
SUBSYSTEM=="scsi_generic"
DRIVER==""

looking at parent device
'/devices/platform/host4/session1/target4:0:0/4:0:0:2':
KERNELS=="4:0:0:2"
SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi"
DRIVERS==""
ATTRS{device_blocked}=="0"
ATTRS{type}=="8"
ATTRS{scsi_level}=="6"
ATTRS{vendor}=="OVERLAND"
ATTRS{model}=="NEO Series "
ATTRS{rev}=="0510"
ATTRS{tgps}=="1"
ATTRS{state}=="running"
ATTRS{timeout}=="0"
ATTRS{iocounterbits}=="32"
ATTRS{iorequest_cnt}=="0xe"
ATTRS{iodone_cnt}=="0xe"
ATTRS{ioerr_cnt}=="0x3"
ATTRS{modalias}=="scsi:t-0x08"
ATTRS{evt_media_change}=="0"
ATTRS{queue_depth}=="32"
ATTRS{queue_type}=="none"

Therefore we built a new rule called 100-local.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d with
this line:

KERNEL=="sg*", SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi", ATTRS{rev}=="0510", SYMLINK+="loader0"

After running /etc/init.d/boot.udev restart we would expect to see
/dev/loader0. But it does'nt exist, why?

THX for any hint advice,
Rainer

privileged information or information otherwise protected from disclosure. If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, do
not copy this message or any attachments and do not use it for any purpose or
disclose its content to any person, but delete this message and any attachments
from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all liability if this email
transmission was virus corrupted, altered or falsified.