Re: [opensuse] delete partitiontable
  • From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:12:22 -0500
In <87f94c370906291605t2d184e8du9ff3d2771211fc01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Greg
Freemyer wrote:
On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Hans de Faber<hans.defaber@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
How can I delete or completely erase a partition-table.

I believe gparted can write an *empty* partition table of many types, but I
don't believe it has support for writing an invalid partition table.

The typical PC partition table is in the very first sector of the drive,
so:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx count=1

That will also destroy your MBR. :(

should do it, but you may need to reboot to get the kernel to reread
it. I'm sure there's another way, but I don't know it.

blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sdx
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((_/)o o(\_))