Re: [opensuse] Nvidia GFX kernel modules for older 11.1-kernel 2.6.27.7-9, anywhere?
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:04:32 +0930
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:51:09 Joachim Schrod wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for the proprietary Nvidia driver (kernel module) for a
GeForce FX 5200 graphics card. A rpm is supposed to be at
http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.1/, named nvidia-gfxG01-kmp-pae.

But there is only a RPM for the most current 11.1 kernel, version
2.6.27.23_0.1. I need one for kernel 2.6.27.7-9. (I can't use the
most current kernel since VMware Server 1 doesn't work properly
with it anymore.)

Is there anywhere a repository archive for older versions where I
can fetch a respective RPM for my kernel?
Alternatively, is there another possibility to install that driver?

Yes - download the generic installer from Nvidia and install it from the
source (but make sure you have the full kernel sources for your running kernel
installed first). It will build and install automatically against your current
running kernel.

The drawback is that if you do update your kernel you'll have to reinstall it
manually (but you can tell the installer to only build the kernel module for
the new kernel, not do the full install again in that case).

Don't let it update xorg.conf if you have one that already works (it will ask
you before it does it). This is how I manage mine, since I also preferred for
some time to keep the same (working) version for my hardware (FX 5500).

Thanks a lot in advance for any answer,

Joachim

It may not have been the answer you were looking for, but it does work for me.

Regards,
Rodney.

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx