Re: [opensuse] dmraid partitions Lost & Found - howto
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 01:45:12 -0500
On Friday 26 June 2009 12:22:50 pm Greg Freemyer wrote:
David,

Since you've become the dmraid expert, one question that I should know
but I don't is:

Is dmraid a seperate project from dm (device mapper)?

ie. Most kernel projects have their own mailing list, project team,
maintainer, etc.. I had always *assumed* dmraid was a standalone
kernel project, but I've recently seen some posts that imply it is
part of dm.

Thanks
Greg

Yes and No :p

They are both redhat projects but with different authors.
"device-mapper"
gives you "dmsetup" and was originally done by Joe Thornber
(thornber@xxxxxxxxxxx). See: http://sources.redhat.com/dm/ dmsetup creates the
raid environment, creates the entries (dmraid nodes) in /dev/mapper, etc.

dmraid - activates, deactivates and accounts for the running raid
processes
and it is manned by Heinz Mauelshagen <Mauelshagen@xxxxxxxxxx>. I have a link
to his page at redhat somewhere, but can't put my finger on it at the moment.
Just google his name and redhat and it will pop up.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC