Re: [opensuse] VNC session without mouse-cursor
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:45:53 -0500
On Friday 19 June 2009 02:14:28 am Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Koenraad Lelong schreef:
Hi,
I configured "Remote Administration" so I could, well, administer a
server from a distant place.
I get a log-on-screen, and I can type my username and password. The
thing is I don't have a mouse-cursor. Without it it's very hard to do
anything. Actually, I have a mouse-cursor, but it's invisible : if I
move my mouse, sometimes the user-icon lights up or the session-type or
menu-text light up.

What can I do ? Thanks.

P.S. I had to disable ipv6 to get the logon-screen.
Hi,
After experimenting some more I came to the conclusion that it's the
clientsoftware that does not work properly.
When I use KRDC/KDE4 (I installed KDE3 from the DVD) it does not _show_
the cursor when I connect to a 11.1 PC. Connecting to a 10.3 PC works
fine, just like rdp to an W2k3 machine.
When I use vncviewer on my 11.1 laptop I can connect fine to that 11.1
machine.
Is there some configuration that needs to be done ?
Thanks for any info.

Koenraad,

I have never had much luck with KRDC. I just administer remote machines
vi ssh. If I do want a graphical desktop, I just enable insecure XDMCP,
(Yast->Network Services->Remote Administration) connect, with X :1 -query
<hostname>, get the work done, then disable XDMCP on the remote machine.

Over the lan XDMCP provides the best desktop I've seen, both freenx and
vncserver/vncviewer provide windowed convenience, but with added delay. Across
the net, (at least with my 1M/.5M connection) even twm is slow. ssh is by far
the easiest and most efficient. Once you learn 'mc' (midnight commander), you
won't need a gui for remote admin, you can simply use ssh and mc, or just mc
with its embedded ssh capability "cd /#sh:hostname"

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC