Re: [opensuse] Howto set next OS to boot from CLI like done with KDE logout/shutdown??
  • From: Manfred Hollstein <manfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 19:00:37 +0200
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, 07:14:41 +0200, David C. Rankin wrote:
Listmates (Anders -- you listening??)

In KDE when I select shutdown, I can choose which OS to boot
next on restart from the drop down list which apparently reads
the grub entries and then sets a flag to boot one of the other
OS's.

What flag or variable is being set by the little restart menu
options ... and ... how do I set it from the command line?

There is not just one option to do this, of course. If you're using a
_standard_ Grub setup, i.e. just *one* Grub on the disk, you can call

grubonce

This will list the bootable items available with a number prefixed. Then
call

grubonce number

where number is the variant you want to boot into.

Another, perhaps more interesting option is using "kexec" to preload
another kernel image (you can even specify completely different kernel
options than those given in the Grub configuration); when you reboot the
system (and you're on a pretty current installation: grep for kexec in
/etc/init.d/reboot), the system shuts down and then immediately boots
into the new/preloaded kernel, bypassing all slow BIOS
initializations...

I use a _non_standard_ Grub setup (stacked Grub's, with the MBR Grub
configured to chainload each other OS/Grub), so the first option is not
that easy to achieve (solution would be to use a different "grubonce").

HTH, cheers.

l8er
manfred