[opensuse] another grub bug: deletes system console
  • From: Linda Walsh <suse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:39:55 -0700
Linda Walsh wrote:
I am trying to create a vanilla kernel as downloaded from kernel.org
(2.6.26.10 to boot x86_64 machine from.

it comes up but says it is unable to open the system console --
then I get (noname)login:;
---
I switched to lilo for the boot and the 'vanilla' kernels from
2.6.26 -> 2.6.30 boot fine (none of them would boot under grub).

BUT, the suse kernel doesn't boot -- it panics.
And the Xen kernel won't config under lilo at all: "too large".

Very weird -- a work around if you don't mind losing the ability to boot with
the suse kernels, they seem to need grub to boot. Sigh.