[opensuse] Can't open initial console?
  • From: Linda Walsh <suse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 23:58:38 -0700
I am trying to create a vanilla kernel as downloaded from kernel.org
(2.8.26.10 to booto x86_64 machine from.

I have all my ops selected, but am running into a sticker --
it comes up but says it is unable to open the system console --
then I get (noname)login:

And no logins work -- I get some security error I believe, root or
normal user.

So how is it that I can type on my console, yet linux thinks it can't
find or open the console?

it's very wierd. The system console is numbered tty1, though I am unable
to switch to any alternate tty's.

I am not using a frame buffer mode.

Never seen a kernel come up and not find a conole.

I've tried putting it on the serial port as well -- but that
doesn't seem to work eiher.

How can I be simultaneously typing on a console, but claims it can't
open the console?

Very weird....

Thanks,
-linda