Re: [opensuse] GRUB Won't Install OS 11.1
  • From: Lucky Leavell <susemisc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 20:48:04 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Friday, 2009-06-19 at 19:55 -0400, Lucky Leavell wrote:

I have a new Lenovo G530 laptop that came with Vista in three partitions:

1. Vista Preload
2. Main Vista
3. Lenovo Recovery

All are NTFS. I installed 11.1 from DVD shrinking the main Vista partition to make room. On the latest iteration, I have these partitions:

sda4 - w95 Extended
sda5 - /boot
sda6 - /
sda7 - swap
sda8 - /home

Where are you installing grub, MBR or sda4? Both problematic, I think.

I always thought the MBR only pointed to /boot but I really never saw the screen where it gave me the choice. sda4 does seem a bit odd since it is a "container" for the extended partitions. BTW, all are ext3.

1. How do I get to where I choose?
2. What should I choose?

Everything runs fine until it tries to install GRUB:

Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" hd(0,3) failed
Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" hd(0,4) failed
Running "install --force-lba --stage2=/boot/grub/stage1
hd(0,3) /boot/grub/stage2 p /boot/grub/menu.lst" failed

Error 22

22 : No such partition
This error is returned if a partition is requested in the device
part of a device- or full file name which isn't on the selected
disk.

But what caused this and how do I fix it?

I found my 11.0 64-bit DVD and am doing a minimal install now. If that doesn't work I may take Felix' suggestion and restore Vista (SOOO tempting to blow it away!) and use its partitioner to resize Vista. I DO get a warning that sda1 does not end on a cylinder boundry though I resized sda2 with the 11.1 YaST.

Thank you
Lucky Leavell