[opensuse] GRUB Won't Install OS 11.1
  • From: Lucky Leavell <susemisc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:55:58 -0400 (EDT)
I have a new Lenovo G530 laptop that came with Vista in three partitions:

1. Vista Preload
2. Main Vista
3. Lenovo Recovery

All are NTFS. I installed 11.1 from DVD shrinking the main Vista partition to make room. On the latest iteration, I have these partitions:

sda4 - w95 Extended
sda5 - /boot
sda6 - /
sda7 - swap
sda8 - /home

Everything runs fine until it tries to install GRUB:

Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" hd(0,3) failed
Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" hd(0,4) failed
Running "install --force-lba --stage2=/boot/grub/stage1
hd(0,3) /boot/grub/stage2 p /boot/grub/menu.lst" failed

Error 22

I have tried Repair to no avail. I can boot into Rescue mode and manually mount /boot and root and everything is there and looks fine. I found an article on this forum archive that says to uncheck everything but the MBR option but I never see that screen.

If I could find my 11.0 DVD I would use that and then upgrade. (I had to do this on an old desktop.)

Meanwhile, I suspect this has something to do with trying to write to both sda4 and sda5 but I am NO GRUB guru.

Any idea as to what is wrong and how I can recover from it short of finding my 11.0 media?

Thank you,
Lucky Leavell