Re: [opensuse] Disableing persistent NIC names
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:46:23 +0200
Koenraad Lelong wrote:

Per Jessen schreef:
Koenraad Lelong wrote:

Hi,
I have a case where I want to disable the persistence of NIC names.
Actually I have a SuseStudio appliance that has to be used on
different PC's. Every time I put the USB-stick in another PC there
is another NIC name (ethx), and it's unconfigured. I would like to
have always eth0, using the configuration of eth0.
I found it has something to do with
/etc/udev/rules.d/70.persistent-net.rules. Every NIC used has it's
entry there. What is writing those rules ? Can it be disabled ?

You can just delete those lines, and they'll be auto-generated each
time.

/Per

Hi Per,
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not a real solution. The whole
point of the stick is that an "innocent" user can plug it in, boot and
"use" the appliance.
I found out I can't use a live-cd because the ftp-server the appliance
contains needs to be able to download files.
But it seems a valid assumption that removing the file (or making it
empty) will work.

Koenraad, I haven't thought it all through, but as long as you have a
properly configured /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0 file, and
your /etc/udev/rules.d/70.persistent-net.rules is empty, I really think
it's a real solution. On boot up, your system will assign 'eth0' to
the only NIC and isn't that what you want?

Now finding out when and how to do this.

I think I would add "dd if=/dev/null of=<persistentnet-rulefile>"
somewhere in /etc/init.d/boot*

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.8°C)