Re: [opensuse] grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:53:17 +0200
Brian K. White wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

But lilo has some uses, it works on some instances where grub does
not, and thus, I see it as an alternative for those cases where the
primary booter (grub) does not work. It is sound engineering
redundance to have two valid solutions.

One example I can think of - I manage a number of remote servers
where I have no console access. A grub shell would be of no use
here, and to me(!) it's no big deal to boot the rescue system (via
pxeboot) and correct lilo.conf.

I agree that for any machine that's unimportant enough that you didn't
invest $75 to $300 for serial console or ip-kvm access the advantages
of grub are likewise unimportant.

They're leased/dedicated servers in a datacentre some 450km away in
another country - serial access is not offered, and an extra USD300 per
machine just in case I can't configure the bootloader properly is
utterly ridiculous.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (20.6°C)