Re: [opensuse] Re: multi-page continuous scanner anyone?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:51:02 -0700
On Thursday June 18 2009, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Thursday, 2009-06-18 at 16:36 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
Looks like it only goes up to 600x600 dpi optical, though.

For document archive 600x600 is overkill.

Typically 200x200 is used and 300x300 is used for high quality.
Assuming your coming from normal paper docs.

If I were scanning my magazine collections, with photos, I would use
600dpi minimum, so that I could print a page later as good as the
original.

I agree, and 600 dpi won't get you a particularly faithful reproduction.
Phototypsetting equipment realizes 2400 DPI, typically.

Which makes me wonder if it could be possible to scan a page with
different resolutions for text and images, automatically.

Maybe in the future.

Or at least store it differently. Perhaps DjVu... but the available
open tools for creating djvu files are far from optimal.

I'm a little curious what Google and ACM (to name only two) use to
digitize print collections. The results render well and, what's much
more impressive are OCR-ed quite well, too. ACM's entire digital
library (most of which predates digital originals) is searchable even
when the original had to be scanned and OCR-ed.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

Randall Schulz