Re: [opensuse] Accessing a partition more than once (ar equivalent functionality)
  • From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:01:23 -0500
In <1245351400.5823.4.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 10:10 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
In <1245335778.4725.75.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
It would sort of make sense, as /proc is read-only, right?

Not at all, but reads/writes to "files" in proc are handled not by
reading/writing the bits from/to some medium, but rather
receiving/presenting them from/to specific kernel functions.

In particular, there are still a number of tunable parameters under
/proc/sys, IIRC.

I thought the things in /proc that were for system tuning and all were
moved out of /proc.

Not yet on my oS 11.1.

I confess that I have had less need for this these
days, so I have not kept current on it.

I think there was some work to try and move this stuff to a "configfs"
filesystem and reduce proc to just /proc/<pid> stuff and /proc/foostat
stuff. I haven't actually used a Linux system that did so though.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((_/)o o(\_))

< Previous Next >