[opensuse] A single 80mm exhaust fan can make an 18 deg. difference in drive temps
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 08:44:21 -0500
Listmates,

For the avid tinkerer and opensuse devotẽ note that the loss of a
single
exhaust fan can cause internal case temps to skyrocket and the addition of a
single exhaust fan where none existed before can drop internal temps by close
to 20 deg. C. An additional note is separating/staggering/spacing hard drives
in your hard drive carrier within the case, leaving an empty drive bay open
between each hard drive can have the same cooling effect. Both solutions are
near zero cost and help fight the worst enemy to the life of your
computer/server -- heat.

I routinely check drive temps using the package hddtemp called from a
simple
script that will check all drives and give a single line readout of the
temperature of each drive:

#!/bin/bash
for i in $(cat /proc/partitions | egrep sd[abcdefgh]$ | sed -e 's/^.*s/s/');
do
hddtemp /dev/$i
done

I just put the script in /usr/local/bin as 'hdtemp' and call it from
cron
with an email sent to myself.

Yesterday, I noticed the drive temps on a file server had jumped 18
degrees C
to:

/dev/sdb: ST3250410AS: 55°C
/dev/sdc: ST3250410AS: 56°C

Drive manufacturers routinely recommend not exceeding 60 deg. C, but a
number
of independent test have shown that keeping drive temps below 43 deg. C is
more or less the gold standard with drive lifetime dropping rather sharply
above 45 degrees.

In my case, the culprit was the rear exhaust fan on the case. Simply
replacing the 80mm fan brought the airflow in the case back up to normal and
the drive temps back down to a reasonable level:

/dev/sdb: ST3250410AS: 37°C
/dev/sdc: ST3250410AS: 40°C

You can find hddtemp here:

10.3 - repositories/home:/houghi/openSUSE_10.3
11.0 & 11.1 - packman

Give it a try and see how your cooling measures up. 10 degrees can make
a big
difference in drive life.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.