Re: [opensuse] Re: NVIDIA control files
  • From: Boris Epstein <borepstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:34:50 -0400
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 3:59 AM, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 13:20 -0400, Boris Epstein wrote:

OK, figured this one out. There is a file called
/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia whose content look something like the
following:

--------------------------
options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=33
NVreg_DeviceFileMode
=0666
--------------------------

All you have to do is change the mode in NVreg_DeviceFileMode=0xxx to
what you desire.

OOC, why would you need to change this? I have:

crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 255 2009-06-15 08:07 /dev/nvidiactl

Wouldn't that be correct? Xorg runs as root.

I ask all this because I still cannot get desktop effects to work with a
supported nvidia card (all in an earlier thread in these parts).

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

Roger,

/dev/nvidiactl is a tool for individual (non-root) users to control
the function of their NVIDIA card. To make it accessible to everybody
I set the access mode to 666.

Try it out - I think that could fix your desktop effects problem.

Boris.