Re: [opensuse] grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 07:10:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Tuesday, 2009-06-16 at 21:45 -0400, Brian K. White wrote:

But, how do you know all those things in lilo? The zero vs one based thing is a single trivial detail among the many others you must know and understand regardless what bootloader you use. You still have to know where your kernel

I don't. I edit the file with a full system running. The file is commented with all I need to know, and I have commands to find out what I don't know. The same strategy for lilo or grub.

What I say is that the shell is almost useless to me. I want a config editor at boot time, instead, or added.

And, you CAN edit menu.lst at boot time so that argument is just plain false with no even partial merit.

¿how? I haven't seen it.

It's only the in-memory copy, which is perfect, as it means you can trial & error as many times as you want harmlessly.

Ah, I think I have seen it. No comments, no full editor. Not much use.

Note that I'm not saying that lilo is better. It is not. Only that I don't use the grub shell. It is a tool, but far from wonderfull. To me.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

< Previous Next >