Re: [opensuse] grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:55:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Tuesday, 2009-06-16 at 10:01 -0400, Brian K. White wrote:

That's essentially what anyone saying lilo is better is saying. They understand a fire, they don't understand a heating system, therefore a fire is a superior way to heat your house.

No, we do not say that lilo is better, or that we should go back to it. I appreciate very much the fact that grub can read the filesystem and will not fail if the kernel is updated, and that it has a shell, even if I can not use it without printed instructions.

But lilo has some uses, it works on some instances where grub does not, and thus, I see it as an alternative for those cases where the primary booter (grub) does not work. It is sound engineering redundance to have two valid solutions.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.