Re: [opensuse] JAVA conversion tool
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:06:56 +0100

Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Monday June 15 2009, G T Smith wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Saturday June 13 2009, G T Smith wrote:
Boris Epstein wrote:
Hi all,

<>

?? Nonsense...

Assuming the same programmer writing as near as possible the same
algorithm then the C code should out perform the Java code by a
significant value for most tasks, by being faster (no interpreter
overheads for a starter), ...

All the code that is executed frequently is converted to native machine
code by the JIT compiler.

There are many optimizations available dynamically that are not
available to ahead-of-time machine code compilation used by languages
like C.

There are some few applications that are not competitive in Java, but
not many.

While I am sceptical about the results presented of the site given by
Boyd elsewhere, it does suggest that there is some sort of performance
hit for Java. The question is really if the decision to optimise
dynamically when running improves the performance more than the penalty
for making the decision, a classic risk analysis and decision theory
problem.

Java's strength is the productivity benefits of the tools available for
writing Java, and side stepping memory management issues that bedevil C
and C++ programming, not its speed and memory usage. The features above
limit the impact of aspects of its performance requirements but do not
eliminate them.

Randall Schulz

- --
telephone.