Re: [opensuse] JAVA conversion tool
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:06:11 +0100

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
In <4A3621C4.604@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, G T Smith wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Saturday June 13 2009, G T Smith wrote:
C is much more efficient than Java. ...
That is a myth.
?? Nonsense...

Benchmarks say otherwise.

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32q/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=all&box=1
is a fair set of benchmarks across languages. C and C++ are still the
leaders as far as run time (with C++ beating C), but Java is right behind
them overall and does run faster on some of the benchmarks when you drill
down.

There was a time when compilers were compared using a well defined set
of tests for a particular language. The end result was a lot of
compilers that performed the test superbly well but often were less
effective in real application.

The thing which rather makes me inclined to take the resulted here with
a little scepticism is the gaps in some of the tests. This is a bit of
fun but I would query the methodological rigour of the test framework.

I'm still an advocate for ISO-standardized languages (C being my favorite),
but I'm getting more friendly toward languages that have a free software
implementation.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup