Re: [opensuse] grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 00:33:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Monday, 2009-06-15 at 12:14 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

Probably what he means is the Grub shell. If boot fails due to some system
change the bootloader doesn't know about or understand, one can use the Grub
shell to interactively locate & load a kernel & initrd to get booted, then
via that virtually normal boot find and fix whatever went wrong, all without
hunting down some media to perform a rescue boot, or needing to figure out
why rescue and/or chroot doesn't work right.

When boot fails and I get to the grub shell, I have to boot something else to read grub instructions, as I can't do anything. I end by booting the system somehow and reconstructing grub - which is more or less the same I did with lilo, with the difference that lilo I can understand and memorize, grub not.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.