Re: [opensuse] grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 18:33:27 +0200
Felix Miata wrote:

On 2009/06/15 16:55 (GMT+0200) Per Jessen composed:

jdd wrote:

2) lilo don't have the boot editor. It's very usefull for advanced
users when changing some hardware and the computer don't boot
anymore.

I consider myself an advanced user, but I have no idea what the "boot
editor" is - is it a special grub feature?

Probably what he means is the Grub shell. If boot fails due to some
system change the bootloader doesn't know about or understand, one can
use the Grub shell to interactively locate & load a kernel & initrd to
get booted, then via that virtually normal boot find and fix whatever
went wrong, all without hunting down some media to perform a rescue
boot, or needing to figure out why rescue and/or chroot doesn't work
right.

I find the Grub shell indispensable, and never use any Grub scripts
for anything at all any more. I usually use the shell to setup Grub
whenever setup is necessary (on RAID systems so far I've been letting
YaST2 do it).

I never learned anything about lilo except how difficult it can be
compared to Grub, particularly if boot fails and lilo needs fixing.

Thanks for the explanation, Felix - very helpful actually.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (23.5°C)