Re: [opensuse] Re: Grub bugs ... should I file separate bugs for each one?
  • From: Dan Goodman <Dan.Goodman@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:20:57 -0400
Can't a user get a break? Is this whole nonsense people have
been talking about with 'labels' a huge farce? The point was to
solve the problem with disks re-ordering themselves when disks were
installed or deleted -- but how does this help when your boot disk
gets moved?

What's the point of everyone being on the 'label' or pathname
or permanent device name "bandwagon", if it doesn't solve the
dynamic movement of the boot device?

I did figure out how to workaround this issue -- only to run
across information that tells me grub is fast and loose with disk accesses
and as a result doesn't seem to work with grub -- even though lilo
does.

So why jump through hoops for labels and booting w/grub
when they don't work yet and are buggy? Why not get the the boot
process working with labels before pushing everyone to convert to
pathnames or labels or UUID's that the boot managers apparently can't
work with?

The problem of pre-boot HW detection not persisting, especially across
upgrades and new installs, did not begin, and probably won't end, with
Linux, grub/lilo, or whatever...

And what is being done here is really just an implementation of "your
choice" of two of the most common solutions.

Unless "the Linux gods" obtain total control over all HW
implementations, something like this _has_ to work. If it doesn't, I
don't believe it is a regression, but it is a much-needed bit of progress.

It has to be made to work in time for initial installs of 11..2, or
there will be a lot more, and a lot more unpleasant, writing about
partitioning, booting, and upgrading.

While I realize that this is either painfully obvious to many, or is
considered a boring minor issue, I really hope someone is tracking this
to the point that they are committed to getting it working for at least
11.1=>11.2 upgrading, including either labels or UUID's and LVM2.

Can anyone confirm whether or not it is a definite that this is
committed to be working for 11.2?

--Dan