Re: [opensuse] editor that does not eat out TAB characters
  • From: Manfred Hollstein <manfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 18:15:20 +0200
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, 17:58:41 +0200, Matthias Bach wrote:
Hi!

Am Montag 15 Juni 2009 17:54:05 schrieb Manfred Hollstein:
I don't actually like that editing mode, though; if you, however, insist
on changing the leading 8 blanks in a line into a tab, you can run
"unexpand" on any text file to do exactly that ...

You'll love it once you frequently change between systems with 1024 px or
2560
px wide displays. ;)

yeah, but then the terminal description is wrong; normally a tab-stop is
every 8 characters. If you look at terminfo(5), the entry for "tab"
shows:

tab ht ta tab to next 8-space
hardware tab stop

and further down:

Tabs and Initialization
If the terminal has hardware tabs, the command to advance to the next
tab stop can be given as ht (usually control I). ...

Dunno if nowadays GUI programs still adhere to such "historical"
standards, though ;-)

Regards,
Matthias

Cheers.