Re: [opensuse] editor that does not eat out TAB characters
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:59:57 +0100

Maura Monville wrote:
I have just learnt, to my dismay, that python syntax is sensitive to
indentation, even if python is supposed to be a modern language ...
I figured that out when I used Mac textEditor to copy some lines from a
python script and paste them into the pdb text window for debugging.

One of the reasons I never explored Python .... I believe Eclipse has
some Python addons which may be useful....(includes a debugger IIRC)....

Get Eclipse from the Eclipse site (the SuSE build works but you may run
into problems with installing some plugins with it)....

Eclipse should run on anything with a Java JRE/SDK installed...

Since I will be using SuSE systems to debug such a script, my question is:
do you know of an editor, running on SuSE, which does not cut off the
precious indentation characters making a mess of a python script ?
For instance, Emacs won't work for this particular problem.

Some time ago I got an editor running on Windows (on campus I had to use a
Windows box) named "UltraEdit" (I am not sure the spelling is right).
It was a very flexible editor tta could be configured for performing very
basic as well as very sophisticated editing functions.
I wonder whether something similar is available on Linux platforms.

Thank you so much,
Maura

- --
telephone.