[opensuse] editor that does not eat out TAB characters
  • From: Maura Monville <mauede@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:28:48 +0000 (GMT)

I have just learnt, to my dismay, that python syntax is sensitive to
indentation, even if python is supposed to be a modern language ...
I figured that out when I used Mac textEditor to copy some lines from a python
script and paste them into the pdb text window for debugging.

Since I will be using SuSE systems to debug such a script, my question is:
do you know of an editor, running on SuSE, which does not cut off the precious
indentation characters making a mess of a python script ?
For instance, Emacs won't work for this particular problem.

Some time ago I got an editor running on Windows (on campus I had to use a
Windows box) named "UltraEdit" (I am not sure the spelling is right).
It was a very flexible editor tta could be configured for performing very basic
as well as very sophisticated editing functions.
I wonder whether something similar is available on Linux platforms.

Thank you so much,
Maura