Re: [opensuse] Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: Steffen Winterfeldt <snwint@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:26:15 +0200 (CEST)
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009, Carlos E. R. wrote:

You can follow the recommended, time proved, practice of having a separate /boot partition in ext2 format, then root can be XFS (or anything).

Having a /boot partition is still the only configuration that is ensured to work on all cases. Yes, in this 21st century.

If you don't like that, complain to XFS and Grub people, not SUSE/Novell - and remember that the 1.xx version of grub is frozen and the 2.xx is not finished, so we are stuck.

Or, you can complain to Novell so that they reinstate Lilo as supported - in which proposal, every body will be ignored, I'm afraid. I tried.

Using XFS myself it annoyed me so much I wrote a small tool to avoid the
extra /boot partition.

http://software.opensuse.org/search?baseproject=ALL&p=1&q=bdr
(source at htp://git.opensuse.org)

It doesn't have the disadvantages of lilo and you can keep going with grub
as long as you want to.

Steffen