[opensuse] run ssh as service for port forwarding
  • From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:20:41 +0800
Hello. We have a great firewall that scans keywords on tcp connections'
raw data, thus I could not use my http proxy server outside of the
firewall because both direct connection to the web server and in-direct
connect to the http proxy are scanned by the firewall.

My trick is to run 'ssh -L' and configure browser to use http proxy
server that runs on localhost, which forwards to the real http proxy
server. However runs ssh -L several times a day is against basic
principle of using computer: let computer does the repeating task.
autossh helps but it also occupies a console session which I don't like.

I thought about wrapping the proxy server with stunnel, but then I could
not configure Firefox to connect to http proxy using https protocol.
Then I think running autossh -L as a system service (not possible
because it doesn't detach from console).

What would you recommend then? (TOR is already being used but hardly
acceptable for very low bandwidth it offers)