Re: [opensuse] Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:42:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday, 2009-06-14 at 15:33 +0200, jdd wrote:

Carlos E. R. a écrit :

You mean on that primary partition that acts as a container for other
partitions?

yes

No, I don't thinks so.

of course yes. I just verified this is a YaST option, and I use it
just now

You must be using some type of trick. Somebody tried it in the Spanish list and we couldn't make it work.

Maybe the first stage, using the
available 512 bytes less whatever, but that is all, and grub needs way
more. The next stages have to go elsewere.

Info grub says:

"PART-NUM represents the partition number of DEVICE, starting from
zero for primary partitions and from four for extended partitions, and
BSD-SUBPART-LETTER represents the BSD disklabel subpartition, (...)

so extended is possible. (see also below)

Above says nothing about extended. Notice, I mean extended, not logical. Above is talking about logical, mistaking them for extended. There can be only one extended partition in any disk, not four.

BSD? We are talking PC here. Different!

There is a big nomenclature problem here.

Three types:

- primary, only four possible.
- extended, it is one of the possible types for one of the primaries.
Only one primary can be defined as extended.
- logical, number unlimited. All the logical occupy the space assigned to
the extended partition.

The extended partition "contains" no space, can not be formatted, can not store anything - except the logical partitions, as a linked list.

However I didn't try this with XFS file system. I may try this on
virtualbox - I need to know to include this in the partition HOWTO

extended partition has no format, so root filesystem type is irrelevant.

thanks
jdd

(...)
`xfs_stage1_5'
These are called "Stage 1.5", because they serve as a bridge
between `stage1' and `stage2', that is to say, Stage 1.5 is loaded
by Stage 1 and Stage 1.5 loads Stage 2. The difference between
`stage1' and `*_stage1_5' is that the former doesn't understand
any filesystem while the latter understands one filesystem (e.g.
`e2fs_stage1_5' understands ext2fs). So you can move the Stage 2
image to another location safely, even after GRUB has been
installed.

While Stage 2 cannot generally be embedded in a fixed area as the
size is so large, Stage 1.5 can be installed into the area right
after an MBR, or the boot loader area of a ReiserFS or a FFS.

Exactly!
Notice that the extended partition has no space after its "boot" sector, so there is no space for stage 1.5

Look:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 1 7 56196 83 Linux
/dev/hdb2 8 14 56227+ 83 Linux
/dev/hdb3 15 4865 38965657+ 5 Extended
/dev/hdb5 15 3679 29439081 83 Linux
/dev/hdb6 3680 4865 9526513+ 83 Linux

Both hdb3 and hdb5 start on the same track - so if you put anything on the start of hdb3 it could overwrite hdb5. Unless...

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 63 112454 56196 83 Linux
/dev/hdb2 112455 224909 56227+ 83 Linux
/dev/hdb3 224910 78156224 38965657+ 5 Extended
/dev/hdb5 224973 59103134 29439081 83 Linux
/dev/hdb6 59103198 78156224 9526513+ 83 Linux

There is a space there, between 224973 and 224910. If stage 1.5 can go there... :-?

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.