Re: [opensuse] Grub bugs ... should I file separate bugs for each one?
  • From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 21:12:54 -0500
In <87f94c370906130524n61ef9b11l6a36600d89c05608@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Greg
Freemyer wrote:
MBR used to invoke grub stage 1.5 or 2. - No label support, so the
user can be screwed every time a user adds / removes disks?

Yes, at this level all the information provided to any running system is
only that provided by BIOS.

Well, for PCs using BIOS; other architectures use different methods. At
some point in the future PCs may switch to EFI. I believe the x86 Macs
already use EFI, and I know some server systems support it.

That's not a bug, that's FUBAR. I did not realize we were allowing
the government to design our boot methodologies.

Don't blame the government for the idiocy that is BIOS; blame IBM (or
whoever they contracted that out to).

EFI may help in the future, but it will depend your motherboard supporting
it--there's no software upgrade path.

Depending on your hardware, coreboot/LinuxBIOS might suit your needs better
than whatever BIOS your manufacturer provided. Coreboot/LinuxBIOS is free
software, so any investment (time or money) would be welcomed. This might
be a software upgrade path.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((_/)o o(\_))