Re: [opensuse] Re: Grub bugs ... should I file separate bugs for each one?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 20:44:09 +0200
Linda Walsh wrote:

I again, recommend the remarkably practical actions of Ubuntu in
this matter. If the user chooses XFS as a file system, the default
boot loader automatically switches to LILO. If they user overrides
this -- they are warned that GRUB is buggy with journaled file systems
and may not work. Simple as that.

GRUB has a problem with journaled file systems? I'm a lilo+jfs user
anyway, but any argument for keeping lilo supported in YaST is a Good
Thing(r).

AND please, people -- GET OFF the idea that '/boot' SHOULD be a
separate partition. It's 1) anachronistic, and 2) good _unix_
practice. No one from the Win-world puts their Win boot files {IO.SYS,
MSDOS.SYS, NTDETECT.COM, boot.ini, AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS, ntldr}
files on a separate partition. To even think about such an absurdity
would get you laughed at. It's not normal.

There used to be one very good reason for having a separate /boot
partition - namely lilos 1024 cylinder restriction.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (22.7°C)