Re: [opensuse] When will KDE 4
  • From: Dan Goodman <Dan.Goodman@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:43:16 -0400
Sven Burmeister wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 11. Juni 2009 01:28:40 schrieb Ben Kevan:

Have a quick launch applet that doesn't try to take over the whole panel
if it's the only thing assigned to it? or is there a way to make it so
that the icons are .. ummmm next to eachother and not the whole panel by
default?

Quite annoying and seems like such a no brainer to do from the beginning.

Have you tried to add a spacer?

This is just my opinion, but it seems to me that in KDE4, it would make
sense, if the spacing were just what the average user would find most
intuitive and functional. But instead, I find that, in order for that
behavior to happen, I need to learn about, and configure, some other
"ho-dad" in order to get the result I want.

While this may work, and may only be a minor set-up annoyance, it seems
totally unnecessary in a "state-of-the-art" DE. The KISS principle has
not been repealed in my corner of the universe.

And what happens if the OP or I then add another item? Do we have to
resize the space to prevent it from overlapping and possibly obscuring
something?

And is this just a vestige of the development process, and the ultimate
goal is to go back and eliminate all of this, or is this the price of
using KDE4, that I must learn all the "secret handshakes" to get
intuitive behaviors with things like the taskbar/panel/kicker/whatever,
and with the desktop?

I'm not trying to slag off KDE4, but I have tried 4.1, and continue to
read extensively about the state of KDE4, and I continue to see
"solutions" to what shouldn't be problems in the first place which look
like this: "just add something else and that will fix it." But I am only
interested in spending time to learn a new system if it meets at least a
minimal threshold of intuitive behavior. And this type of "solution" to
me, is part of the problem.

- Dan