Re: [opensuse] Problem with sound on OpenSuse 11.1
  • From: Joris <xxjorisxx+opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:24:52 +0200
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 01:42, Jean-Claude Lorin<jlorin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
After updating the kernel to 2.6.27.23-0.1-pae #1 yesterday I have suddenly no
sound on Firefox, Banshee and Amarok. Sound is OK on Mplayer and Skype. I
tried updating Alsa but to no avail. I also did zypper up -t package with no
particular result.

What should I do?

I have experienced the same thing on several occasions but never quite
got my head around the cause of it. Things I have done to resolve it
are:
- restarts alsa
- force a reinstall everything possibly related to alsa
A friend of mine had the problem of having no sound whatsoever and it
turned out that because of conflicting dependencies (the problem with
running a factory respository) parts of alsa had been uninstalled, and
he needed to reinstall them.

PS everything was working fine before, except that on occasion I had to close
and re-open Firefox to get the sound working. Sometimes I also had to reboot

For this an easier solution might be to simply restart flash (as I
assume that's where the sound is coming from):
open the task manager (Alt+F2), kill npviewer.bin, reload the page
with the flash on it. If npviewer.bin is not there, you are probably
using a different plugin (VLC? Totem?) to view the video and you need
to restart that.

Jean-Claude

Good luck!