Re: [opensuse] Can't get the security update
  • From: David Bolt <bcrafhfr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 05:58:20 +0100
On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, John E. Perry wrote:-

Well, the red triangle just came up, and I clicked on it as usual. It
says I have kernel security update 951 pending; I tell it to install.
It asks for my root password, which I give it; the icon immediately
turns back to a red triangle, and nothing else happens. Went through
this several times; no difference. Did the Windows fix (reboot :-); no
difference.

What now? I've never seen anything like this before.

If you're not bothered about using a console, open a console and either
type:

sudo zypper -v up

or become root using:

su -

and then use:

zypper -v up

This will give a verbose output from zypper as it looks at what to
upgrade and, after getting a confirmation, performs the upgrade.

If you're not interested on what's going on, drop the "-v" from the
above commands.

Alternatively, if you'd prefer to use the GUI, the other way would be to
open up YaST, select either "Online Update" or "Software Management" and
then install the update(s).

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b | |