Re: [opensuse] Stupid Google Redirect URL Utility
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 16:36:14 -0700
On Monday June 8 2009, Dan Goodman wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
Hi,

I am most peeved by Google's recent change that make it impossible
to copy URLs or Save Link As... from the search results pages.

So I wrote a couple scripts to ease the process a bit. <snip> ...

Thanks for the scripts.

IF I continue using Google, they will come in handy.

What would be really nice would be a way to connect this up to just
open a tab or window using the data extracted by these scripts,
rather than stopping at presenting the bare bones URL (although this
alone would be a big help, going forward.)

If you bind sgruget to a global shortcut then you can simply
right-click, Copy Link Location and press the <sgruget> key. If you
want to open the link in a tab or window, the browser still does that
even with SGRUs. If you want to visit links without giving Google
feedback about which of the hits you chose, you can use a script (I
have one that I use frequently for opening tabs from the command line,
but it would need to have a --sgru option added) and bind that script
to a shortcut key. Then accessing a URL from a Google search results
page in a tab without feedback to Google would be achieved by copying
the link and hitting the accelerator key.

Any idea if this would be a feasible extension?

I have little doubt a browser extension could do it without all the
gyrations outlined above, but that's really just a guess and I've never
written a browser extension—for any browser.

Dan G.

Randall Schulz