Re: [opensuse] tuning tweak from factory
On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 11:30 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
All,
There is a discussion on factory currently that the mount option
"relatime" can be used to accelerate application launch, etc. (note
that relatime is NOT a typo, just a fairly new mount option.)
And that the 2.6.30 kernel now uses it by default, so it should be pretty
safe.
I don't know if it is available in the standard 11.1 kernel, but looks
like it is worth investigating.
Someone feel like doing some tests?

Yes, I believe it is. And it is documented in the mount man page (on
11.1):

<quote>
relatime
Update inode access times relative to modify or change time. Access
time is only updated if the previous access time was earlier than the
current modify or change time. (Similar to noatime, but doesn't
break mutt or other applications that need to know if a file has been
read since the last time it was modified.)
</quote>

"relatime" is a compromise between rigid standards compliance and
"noatime" (which, btw, implies the "nodiratime" option) which gives the
best performance. *Theoretically* some application somewhere might
actually use the atime and thus break with "noatime" set - I've never
found one and none of the admin's I know have ever found one. I always
run with "noatime" - but it would make a bad default for a distro (hence
"relatime").