Re: [opensuse] how to set up a fylafax 'client'
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 09:03:59 -0400
Per Jessen said the following on 06/08/2009 08:16 AM:

I only send faxes from openoffice, and I've got a special fax printer
set up for that. To have a fax printer available everywhere, I think
you need to set it up in cups, and I'm pretty certain I have come
across a hylafax "backend" for cups or some such.

That sounds interesting. The 'everywhere' hylafax integrate with CUPS
seems great for the bricks-an-mortar office; another box (or virtual) an
another phone line along with many other phone lines.

But for those of us who live an work 'out of the office' an use a
laptop, something else is needed.

When I google for 'openoffice+fax' I get a lot of references to How-Tos
that specify:

To send a fax directly from OpenOffice.org, you need a fax modem
and a fax driver that allows applications to communicate with
the fax modem.

Well that's a big MAYBE.
Maybe the modem in my laptop can fax, but is it a real modem?
Maybe I'd be better off using a network service like eFax if I deal with
a lot of faxes, both outgoing an incoming.

My reality, though is that faxes are a technology that won't die. Having
become popular before the Internet they persist in modern business. If
I have to fax something once a month that is remarkable. I can usually
send a document by email or via a FT box.

But occasionally I have to send a signed document, or worse, print out a
PDF form, fill it in, sign it an fax it.

The last time I tried that it turned out that the fax at my local copy
shop could not connect to the remote fax service and I resorted to
snail-mail!

So there are two problems:

1. A simplified, low footprint, occasional fax out of a document via my
laptop's modem.

2. Dealing with the complexities of PDF forms that need to be filled
in, signed and faxed.

As I say, this is an occasional nod to an archaic technology, but when
it is needed it is very definitely needed.

I wonder how many other people are in this situation?
I wonder if there is a 'small footprint' solution for laptops and
occasional use?