Re: [opensuse] best way to organize small offices that share LAN with others?
  • From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 23:01:10 +0800
gildororonar@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello. We are in a small office that shares a broadband (10MB/s)
connection with several other offices. The LAN administrator ask us to
use IP address from 192.168.4.42 to 192.168.5.57. Since most our users
are mobile workers visiting customer from day to day, assign each
notebook fixed IP address is an inflexible solution. DHCP wouldn't
work because there is a DHCP server in one of the near-by offices that
keep granting IP addresses that are not usable (e.g. 172.16.4.3). The
local IT administrator will not corporate to find and stop the
mallfunctioning DHCP server (not set up by him) and set up a working
one, because he thinks fixed IP address is a perfect solution, mostly
because he do not travel but sit in the server room all day and he
doesn't mind travellers have different requirement. Solving the
problem at management level turns out not working because the network
is shared by multiple offices and connectivity offered by non-profit
governmental organization. It is difficult to force somebody do things
if they don't get money from you.

Is there a technical solution to my case?
There is a technical solution, though the right solution might be at
management level.

You can edit /etc/dhclient.conf on every client.
check dhclient.conf(5), the OTHER DECLARATIONS section and see 'reject'
statement.