Re: [opensuse] [OT] is there a virtual machine that uses harddisk as harddisk image
  • From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 20:15:45 -0500
In <200906010823.43037.rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>, Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Monday June 1 2009, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
What is the name / terminology used for this? If you give me the
right keyword I should be able to google out everything.

... When you define a virtual
machine you have the option of having the virtualized disks be
backed by files (considered the default) or by actual disks or disk
partitions.

any "block device" -- these are devices that support read, write, and
seek operations like "normal" files.

Do you know any block devices these days that aren't disks or flash
drives?

The ones that come to mind for me are dm-devices, md-devices, luks devices,
and the special case dm-devices, LVM logical volumes and EVMS "logical
volumes" (I don't remember the correct EVMS terminology).

At the end of the day, block writes are usually destine for spinning
platters, flash chips, or RAM chips; that's true. However, there may be a
number of useful layers between the media and virtual machine software and
the VM doesn't care as long as it exposes a block device interface.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((_/)o o(\_))

< Previous Next >