Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1 - Now [ OT indexing ]
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:40:46 -0500
Brian K. White wrote:
And do we still cling to the notion that local content index and search
is unnecessary??

And if you do, wait until you collect 5 GB of PDF, gzip-compressed
PostScript and HTML documents, as I have...

The argument is that the way the math works out for me, with indexing, I
suffer slowness 100% of the time in order to get a speed up 1% of the time.

That math is backwards to me, and it's far worse than merely 100 to 1 in
reality.

I would rather have my machine as fast as possible 100% of the time, and have
to go looking for something the hard way 1% of the time.

The rest of the time, ordinary organization will let me find a program or
document immediately without having to rely on an indexing and search system.

If I have a library of documents or other too-large-for-that mass of data,
then of course I place them in a library type application or database which
has indexing and searching, but it rarely has to rebuild indexes and search
constantly for random changes in the data. Whenever any data is added or
changed, any relevant indexes are surgically updated the same way the
database itself is with the payload data. By contrast a desktop indexer has
to constantly search for all the random changes I may make to the directories
within it's scope.

Reiser4 with built in indexing (or via module) may be the answer for that,
allowing indexing without constant searching, compiling, colating and index
rebuilding. The fs is in essence a db engine and it can maintain indexes the
way db engines do.

Finally, even with desktop indexing, /usr/share/doc is not within anyones
desktop or home directory, so presumably it wouldn't be indexed by these
things _anyways_. Other possible scenarios, if these things are configured to
index the entire filesystem / all filesystems, then that is automatically
horrendous and wrong even if I could be convinced to tolerate them in a home
directory.
A user or a sysadmin might put anything anywhere and it's patently stupid to
allow some indexer to try to search through gigs of irrelevant data.
repeatedly. Not to mention merely accessing a file may screw up some other
process that watches that files access time. If the indexers only search in a
specific list of directories, whether all in their home or including some
elsewhere like /usr/share, well if the user can be expected to administer
the list of indexed directories, then they already know enough not even to
need them. So the benefit is coming down to something like, "Well the user
may not know the directories where docs are, but the package or distribution
developers have preconfigured the list into the indexer", so by default we
should all have our pc's run slow and our drives die sooner so that some user
doesn't have to know a short list of likely places to look for docs? That is
insane.

Brian,

I agree 100%... with one proviso or quid pro quo:

<quote>

The older I get and with more of life stored as electronic information
even
with my (mind you, very good) 'ordinary organization', the LONGER 'looking for
something the hard way 1% of the time' takes!

</quote>

I haven't found a usable, efficient or well written indexing system yet.
However, I do see some interesting things on the horizon. There are a couple of
document management systems (dms) being rewritten right not that might hold the
key by combining strong lightweight directory indexing with cross-platform
access to the stored information. Only time will tell.

The one thing I am convinced of however is "the dreaded dog (beagle)
type
indexing ain't it."

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.