Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
  • From: Rui Santos <rsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:29:51 +0100

Neil wrote:
No Hylton. Andrew just had one bad experience. You can use Soft RAID1
with no problem. I use both RAID1 and RAID5 on several machines and, if
a drive "dies", I get a message from mdadm stating it. I can also change
the faulty HD with no downtime at all ( depending on your hardware ).
IMO, you should take Andrew's experience as Linux Software RAID is not
perfect. Well... nothing is... but IMO, it is very close to it :)

Hi

I decided to but in at this point because one important side of the
issue isn't vieuwed and a question not asked to Andrew and Rui:
What brand of harddisks did you use?

Mainly Seagate, but also Maxtor and WD.
Mainly SATA, but also SAS and SCSI.

I cannot imagine that the warnings of mdadm are NOT suplier dependant.
(Since I want to experiment a bit more with soft raid next system this
is verry important to me)

As Carlos also stated, AFAIK, they are not.
Also, with this newer SATA drives, the problems related to HD reduced
when compared to PATA drives. Many users, including myself, had problems
with it. Having HD's in both Master and Slave channel is not a good
thing. After reading about it, I decided to buy an extra Adapter and
place a single PATA HD on each channel. After that, my problems went way
until this very day. I still have a machine running a RAID5 on a 24/7
basis with 4 PATA HD. The only two times I got warning from mdadm, was
when the drives actually died...
As I stated... I have a great confidence in Linux Raid.

Neil

Rui

--
Rui Santos