Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 06:12:59 -0700

The howtos are less than 10 megas.

Of course. And if they were the only documents on a system, one
could indeed just use grep. But who does not accumulate a lot of
documentation (and / or email, for that matter), whether part of
the distribution or separately acquired, that would not benefit
from being indexed and searchable, á là Beagle, Google Desktop or
other document indexing system?

True enough. Howeer, beagle on my system doesn't seem to find the
documents I want... I don't deactivate it because of the cpu it uses,
but because it did not find the proper things, which is a pity.

I'll give it another chance.

For what it's worth, I use Google Desktop on my main system, which is
running 10.0, and it seems to do pretty well. It's quite measured in
its use of resources when indexing, though I have found it running
uncontrollably at 100% CPU once or twice, and had to kill and restart
it, which is obviously uncool.

I've left Beagle in its default installation state on my 10.3 box, which
I use for 3D applications and to run the server for the application I'm
developing.

Randall Schulz