Re: [opensuse] Extract Sound From Flash
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 15:21:43 +0930
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:57:15 Neil wrote:
On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:41 PM, Rodney Baker

<rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 03:13:21 Kai Ponte wrote:
I want to grab the sound from a flash file (badgerbadgerbadger.com) and
save it to a file.

I've googled and not found a solution.

Ideas?

--
kai
www.filesite.org || www.perfectreign.com

mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile <output filename> <flash file/url> may work
(if you have the right codecs installed) but you need to know the correct
url to the flash file. A lot of web sites obfuscate the url to prevent
downloading.

There are 2 ways I know of that would fix that. One is easy enough for
dummies like me to come up with, the other is slightly more solid.

1. You can install the video download helper plugin for firefox. This
will ad a button that will light up if the right file types are
present. Flash video (.flv) is one of the right types. You can simply
click it and download the file. Then you can point mplayer directly to
the file on your harddisk. If the site finds a way to circumvent this
you may not be able to download for some time, but I belive they would
update in that case.

I have tried several solutions like this and none of them work for particular
sites that I'm interested in. The only one that has worked reliably is Orbit
Downloader (which, as previously mentioned, is Windoze only) - I must try
that under Wine at some stage...

2. You can clear your /tmp directory before starting and use the only
.flv file in there (I do not know what subdirectory). This wil
continue to work almost no matter what. The files played will have to
be stored on your computer to buffer, right?

Some sites also set the "no cache" instruction which is supposed to tell the
browser not to keep a local copy, for the same reason (to stop people doing
exactly what you describe). Whether or not the browser and/or flash player
obey the no cache pragma is another question...

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Paul's Law:
You can't fall off the floor.