Re: [opensuse] KDE died on 9.1
  • From: Tony Alfrey <tonyalfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:09:43 -0700

The Saturday 2008-09-20 at 17:10 -0700, Tony Alfrey wrote:

I use SuSE 9.1. I had a very hard freeze when trying to read a .bmp file and when I rebooted I had no X. In fact, I could not start X on either my Fedora partition or my SuSE partition (I had problems like this once before, and it seemed to be caused by the monitor being auto-scanned).

Be that as it may, I got the Fedora partition working but I cannot get the SuSE partition working. I managed to get X started on SuSE but when KDE tries to start, it says "no write access to /root/.ICEauthority"
I have no such file (but it exists on the Fedora partition).

Can someone give me a pedestrian list of steps that I need to do with the 9.1 CD to fix this without trashing my data?

Check the logs. It will be something like "X*" or "x*" in /var/logs/ or home.

Or instead of trying runlevel 5, use runlevel 3, and use "startx" instead as user: it will dump errors into the text terminal.

While I was waiting for the list to respond, I put the 9.1 CD in and poked around for awhile, having YAST look at things. Finally, after your post, I rebooted, expecting to look for the log files.
But KDE started (and the file /root/.ICEauthority has reappeared). So I have no idea what happened.

Thanks

--
Tony Alfrey
tonyalfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx