Re: [opensuse] KDE died on 9.1
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 02:29:17 +0200 (CEST)

The Saturday 2008-09-20 at 17:10 -0700, Tony Alfrey wrote:

I use SuSE 9.1. I had a very hard freeze when trying to read a .bmp file and when I rebooted I had no X. In fact, I could not start X on either my Fedora partition or my SuSE partition (I had problems like this once before, and it seemed to be caused by the monitor being auto-scanned).

Be that as it may, I got the Fedora partition working but I cannot get the SuSE partition working. I managed to get X started on SuSE but when KDE tries to start, it says "no write access to /root/.ICEauthority"
I have no such file (but it exists on the Fedora partition).

Can someone give me a pedestrian list of steps that I need to do with the 9.1 CD to fix this without trashing my data?

Check the logs. It will be something like "X*" or "x*" in /var/logs/ or home.

Or instead of trying runlevel 5, use runlevel 3, and use "startx" instead as user: it will dump errors into the text terminal.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.