Re: [opensuse] Volume knob on keyboard
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 20:32:25 -0400
On Saturday 20 September 2008 14:55, Sorin Peste wrote:
Hi,

I've got a rather unusual keyboard (Myria MY-93) with a volume knob,
among other buttons. I'm trying to set it up so it will control my audio
volume. Turning the knob and then running dmesg outputs this:

atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x96 on
isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e016 <keycode>' to make it known.
atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x8b on
isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e00b <keycode>' to make it known.

The first two lines appear when the knob is turned to lower volume, the
next two when it is turned to increase volume.

I've googled a bit and also looked at the setkeycodes command but I'm
not really sure what keycodes I should enter, how to hook it up to
either Amarok's global shortcuts or to the alsa master volume (from what
I gather the latter is a bit trickier to do), and how to make sure my
changes remain permanent.

Can anyone help me?
Sorin

Just a wild guess, but I would think you'd need a driver from your keyboard
to your sound-card to make this work. Perhaps someone on the list has done
this, and could help you. If this does work anywhere out of the box, it is
probably in some version of Windows, but I've never seen M/S advertise this
feature. Why not check in Google and see if there is some computer that
advertised this feature, and then see what you can find out from that
point.

--doug, wa2say

--
Blessed are the peacemakers ... for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley