Re: [opensuse] Extract Sound From Flash
On Thursday 18 September 2008 11:27:15 pm Neil wrote:

mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile <output filename> <flash file/url> may work
(if you have the right codecs installed) but you need to know the correct
url to the flash file. A lot of web sites obfuscate the url to prevent
downloading.

There are 2 ways I know of that would fix that. One is easy enough for
dummies like me to come up with, the other is slightly more solid.

1. You can install the video download helper plugin for firefox. This
will ad a button that will light up if the right file types are
present.

That doesn't seem to want to work. I have it but it never shows up with any
files.

2. You can clear your /tmp directory before starting and use the only
.flv file in there (I do not know what subdirectory). This wil
continue to work almost no matter what. The files played will have to
be stored on your computer to buffer, right?

/tmp is where they are stored? I never would have thought. I kept looking
in /home/kai/.mozilla folders.

I'll try that.

Neil

This will dump both the video and audio streams. You can then use ffmpeg
or mencoder to extract just the audio from the file and save it in
whatever format you need (again, depending on what codecs you have
installed).

I know of one application that has worked reliably for me to grab .flv
files from web sites that hide the urls - unfortunately it is a Windoze
app called Orbit Downloader. I haven't tried it under Wine yet, nor have
I found a Linux equivalent (not one that works for me, anyway).

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on
it."
-- "Grendel", by John Gardner

--
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who cannot
count

kai
www.filesite.org || www.perfectreign.com