Re: [opensuse] Data recovery?
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:27:24 +0200
If you have a backup restore from that, if not (apart from the obvious
"why no backup?"), I hope whoever has asked you to do this is paying by
the hour or this a small drive with relatively few large files.

Well, the drive autopsy was completed this past weekend. I tried
using Autopsy, but that failed.. not because of the software, but
because of the drive size. The drive with problems was a 750GB drive.
Autopsy works on an image of that drive, and well... it's pretty hard
to make a drive image of a 750GB drive when you don't have a second
750GB drive to image to.

No worries. In the end simply running dosfsck kind of worked. It
found a bazillion files with length errors, and EOFed them. The FATs
were inconsistant... and a bunch of other issues. One file was
totally unrecoverable, but the other 150Gb of files were at least
somewhat intact. Of the 150GB of files (mostly videos) around 50GB
were damaged, but still playable. The remaining 100Gb were perfect.

So.. a reasonably successful recovery in the end.

Thanks for the help and pointers.

C.